How I Changed
Have you ever
heard of a city Dalian? It’s one of the huge cities in China, but is rather
unknown compared to such metropolises like Beijing or Shanghai. Well, it isn't far from here, because it only takes an hour for us to get there by a flight. I
know this, because I rode uncountable numbers of flight to this exotic city, in
order to get back home. Yes. I lived in this foreign city before, and it wasn't a short visit. In fact, it was 5 years of my 17 year life. At there, I
sometimes suffered, and sometimes felt happy. Well, I still cannot determine whether
I was happy living there or not. However, one thing is sure: I would not have
been a person who I am now, if I hadn't had chance to live there.
It
was in my fourth grade, when I had to forcefully move to Dalian. It was a hard
experience. First of all, I had to leave all my friends I knew since I entered
elementary school. Also, living in an environment where I cannot talk to made
me nervous, and stressed. There were school problems too. Most of school there
provided worst education possible (they were teaching Alphabets to 6th
graders. More shockingly, it was an international school). Only if I failed to
enter DAIS (Dalian American International School), I would've become an idiot. However,
by entering DAIS, I got “chances” to think freely and creative, chances to stack
whole lots of knowledge, and also a chance to become fluent at English and
Chinese. The only problem was that, I just tend to “only” play days after days,
not even trying to utilize these chances.
It was about one and a half years from my
entrance to DAIS that I faced a significant day in my life. On that day, the
mood of my house was strangely harsh, and heavy. I did not realize anything,
until I saw my mother taking out a paper that resembled my report card. Well,
it actually was my report card, which recorded several Cs on it. This proved that
I was absolutely enjoying my life at DAIS in somewhat wrong way. Even at that
point, I didn’t understand the seriousness of the situation. I had no idea what
was wrong. Rather, I hated the condition when I was scolded by my parents for
several hours. Shortly after that, I left the place with great anger on my
face, and headed to my room.
And
that very night on about 3’O clock, I woke up to have some relief at bathroom.
But by a chance, I heard sound coming out from my parent’s room. Not a sound
that I have heard for several years; it was sound of sadness. My mother was
crying. It wasn’t loud, but I could absolutely feel the mood. She was talking
about me, but not in a reproachful mood, but rather in worrisome tone. She said
things, which I couldn’t really understand fully at that time. Yet, I unquestionably
felt, that I should not make her sad any longer.
Miracle
happened, and I started utilizing all the chances I had been ignoring. As a
result, in several years, I evolved, becoming an outstanding feature of DAIS.
It was at this moment, that I eventually noticed one touching truth: My parents
were devoting everything to me and my brother. They had to give up their
preparation for old age by sending us both to international schools. My mother spent
her own time to get all the possible information needed to raise us. Mostly,
she had to endure immatureness of me until I stood up by myself.
Neglecting these memories, I can possibly
say only one word:
“Thank you, and Sorry Mom.”
thank you
ReplyDelete