Sunday, April 28, 2013

Introduction to TGIS method


Hello everyone. I’m writing this introduction in order to inform you that I’ll start something strange on this blog. Today, I just realized that my blog looks like a house which has been thrown out for several years. It is neither decorated nor filled up with any content, and it isn’t attractive to the others. So, I came up with a great (?) idea for future posts of my blog. I’m basically going to post outlines of short stories or novel that I made by myself. The only special thing is that this outline is made by using TGIS method.

What is TGIS method? It is a new method invented by me.

Recently, I have been thinking about topics for my writings, but couldn’t come up with something innovative. The main problem was that my idea was always at the same point; in other words; all the ideas somehow looked really similar to each other. Because of this, writing outlines of story started to be something tedious. So I thought for a long time, until I came up with a method of writing that would give me interest back, as well as giving topics that would be really innovative. It was “Three Genre in a Story” method, aka TGIS.

Basic idea of TGIS is to choose three random genres from my genre pool, and write a story based on these genres. For example, if I choose random genre like “LIFE, MEDIEVAL, PLANET”, I will write a story that has main characters living in another planet with medieval lifestyle. I had successfully driven off 71 genres from internet by research, so there are about 340000 possible genre combinations that can be made with TGIS.

Well, because the story should contain a main genre that can build a story up, I separated 15 main genres and made a rule to choose a genre only in this pool. After this modification, there was only 72000 possible genre combination. But anyway, it’s a lot. It would take about 200 years for me to write stories for every combination even if I write one at a day.

What do you think? Do you think this will really make creative stories? You’ll see.

BONUS. I just spend my self-studying time making a program that automatically chooses three genres for me. Here’s random list of genres:

Comedy : Apocalyptic : Mecha
Fantasy : Survival : Post-Apocalypse
Science Fantasy : SF : Monster
Political : Religious : Spy
Action : Creatures : Military
Life : Humorous : Zombie

(I personally like the last one… humorous zombie life?)



No comments:

Post a Comment

.

.